Tennis courts on the grounds of the British Columbia Penitentiary. Before the gymnasium was completed in 1963, this small fenced in yard with its two tennis courts served as the gym. The pen opened in 1878, and closed on May 10, 1980, at which time tours were conducted. The small hill leading down to the tennis courts was known as the Exercise Yard. Photographs nos. 1612 and 1613 show the Exercise Yard under construction. Only prisoners played on these courts. Although it looks like the inmates are wearing tennis whites, most likely these players were inmates working as kitchen staff. Their kitchen uniforms were white. Later, the auditorium and gymnasium (same building) were built on this site.