The original photograph was captioned: "The laying of the corner stone of the Carnegie Free Library. By the Grand Master of British Columbia A.F. & A.M. New Westminster, Oct. 1, 1902." "W.T. Cooksley New Westminster, B.C." The Carnegie Library stood on "Library Square" the block bounded by McKenzie, Carnarvon, Lorne and Agnes (on which the City Hall had stood before the 1898 fire). For a history of this building see R027.471 N42n B.C. "The New Westminster Public Library 1865-1965" by A.M. Hutcheson.