1904

First Bridge

The first bridge, the Fraser River Bridge, was opened. (This is the railway bridge "under" the Pattullo Bridge)

 

 

1905

Dominion Exhibition

The Dominion Exhibition was held in Queens Park. A prefab home shown at the fair is the Tourist Info Centre on the Quay.

 

 

 

1922

The Cenotaph

The New Westminster Cenotaph was unveiled near McBride Blvd. and Columbia St. After one interim move it was placed in front of City Hall on Royal Avenue.

 

   
1929

Exhibition Buildings Destroyed

The Exhibition Buildings in Queens Park were destroyed by fire.

 

 

 

1937

Pattullo Bridge Opened

The Pattullo Bridge was opened.

 

 

 

1950

Irving House becomes Historic Centre

"Irving House" was purchased by the City as a Historic Centre.

 

 
1953

New City Hall

The City Hall on Columbia St. closed and the new Hall was opened on Royal Avenue.

 

 

 

1954

Woodward's Opens

Large scale development Uptown began with the opening of Woodward's Department Store.

 

 
1958

Library Moves

The Public Library moved Uptown from Downtown.

 

 

 

  TOP