800 Columbia St.
In 1886-1887, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) extended its line to
New Westminster by constructing a spur line for passenger and freight
service between New Westminster and the main line at Westminster Junction
(Port Coquitlam). Determined to have a deep water port, the Canadian Pacific
Railway extended the line along Burrard Inlet to a new wharf at Coal Harbour.
Thus Vancouver became the main terminus for the C.P.R. trains and New
Westminster's hope for extra trade along the rail line were dashed. The
CPR constructed a station and sheds on the New Westminster site in 1887.
These buildings were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1898. In 1899, a new
CPR station at New Westminster designed by Edward Maxwell was built at
a cost of $35,000. In 1910, the architects Gardiner and Mercer designed
two additional wings to meet the growing demand for service. This brick
and stone building is typical of the Chateau style of architecture used
by the CPR throughout Canada. Today this building is the home of The Keg
Click on Image to Enlarge