City Life Click for River Life Images Click for People Images
[NW Heritage Homepage] "Click here to view Maps"


City Life

Streets/Roads

Civic Buildings

Churches/
Monuments

Fire

Houses

Offices/
Buildings

Shops

Transportation

Churches & Monuments:

| Churches | Monuments |


| view image | view large image |

Churches (Holy Trinity)

#310

Date: [N.D.] c.1860
Source:
Photographer:

Information: In "The Anglican Church in BC", p. 107, is a reproduction of an engraving based on this photograph. The engraving appeared in "The Columbia Mission Report 1861" and is captioned "Church and clergyman's log hut at New Westminster." The hut foreground is therefore the home of Rev. Sheepshanks.

Top


| view image | view large image |

Churches Miscellaneous

#2926

Date: 1886
Source: Eileen French, donor (Mrs. Glen E. French)
Photographer: S.J. Thompson

Information: Olivet Baptist Church. This was the 1st church dedicated in the fall of 1886. A clearer print of this photo appears in the book, "75 years of service" R286 Sa 58s p.12. The church traces its beginnings in New Westminster to the summer of 1878. In 1885 Rev. Robert Lennie was appointed its first official minister. Before a church was built a small group met in members' homes, rented halls and the court house. The site for the 1886 church was provided by James Turnbull. It was on the south side of Agnes Street, about six lots east of 6th Street. The church was a brick superstructure on a stone foundation and was valued at $10,000. The church at this time had about 35 members. Due to a burgeoning congregation, in November 1891 an enlarged brick and stone structure opened on Agnes Street. This building was destroyed by the fire of 1898. Some items such as the pulpit and two upholstered chairs were rescued from the fire and can be seen in the present church. A new church was built and officially opened on September 16, 1938. Both the 1899 and 1938 churches were built at the corner of Queen's Avenue and 7th Street.

The donor of this photo is an ancestor of S.J. Thompson. Thompson was the photographer of this picture.

Top


| view image | view large image |

Churches (St. Paul's Reformed Episcopal)

#3080

Date: c. 1899
Source: New Westminster Museum
Photographer:

Information: "Officially opened June 1, 1899: authority, Rev. W. Lyle" The house at left is the Burr House, which eventually moved uphill beside the church. Barely visible, left, is the bleached-out outline of the Holy Trinity Church. According to the "Daily Columbian", this church was opened June 25, 1899

Top


| view image | view large image |

Churches - Holy Trinity

#22

Date: [N.D.] c.1899 (?)
Source: New Westminster Museum
Photographer:

Information: "Holy Trinity" The third building of this name, two previous ones having been destroyed by fire. (Compare this picture with one dated 1899 in "The memoirs of a cathedral: a century of Christian activity 1859 -1959" R283.711 H747m, p.42) Architect: G.W. Grant

Top


| view image | view large image |

Churches Miscellaneous

#5

Date: ?
Source: Mrs. Evia Insley
Photographer:

Information: Second Methodist Church New Westminster

Top

 

Churches & Monuments:

| Churches | Monuments |

 

| NWPL Photo Database | Heritage Homepage | Site Map | Maps of New Westminster |


Last modified August 2000 - Created July 2000

NWPL Homepage NWPL Contact Page "New Westminster Public Library"