image | view
large image |
- Streets - Numerical - 8th-12th
[N.D.] c. 1925
Source: G. Furness, donor
The William Furness home at 340 Tenth Street (St. Andrew's Street).
William Furness was the tender for the Lulu Island Bridge and
built this home after his retirement in 1912. It is an excellent
example of a Craftsman-style bungalow and as of 1991 it was virtually
in original condition. The house was built in 1913. Its architect,
Edmund J. Boughen, also designed his own home "E-Dee-Nie" at 315
Fourth Avenue. Mr. Boughen's offices in the old Masonic Block
at 26 Lorne Street are still in use as offices. William Furness'
son Thomas was a city superintendent for many years, starting
the job by laying sawdust roads. In September, 1898, Thomas' wife
looked out the window and saw downtown New Westminster in flames.
She called out, "Tom, Tom the town's on fire," to her husband,
who was asleep after a long working day. "Let it burn," was his
reply. But he roused himself to protect their house, cow and fruit
trees from the burning particles blowing up the hill.
exterior of the Furness home is fir clapboard, with Swiss braces
under the eaves and a spacious porch with wide supports. To give
the building an "arts and crafts" look the concrete block foundation
was rusticated, except at the corners where they are smoothed
to look like quoins in a stone building. Inside, the parlour ceiling
is coffered and all the built-in cabinets, the window and door
architraves, the mantelpiece and other woodwork are of varnished
fir. The stained glass windows have floral and fruit patters.
The lighting fixtures are typical examples of the Tiffany art