City Life Click for River Life Images Click for People Images
[NW Heritage Homepage] "Click here to view Maps"


City Life

Streets/Roads

Civic Buildings

Churches/
Monuments

Fire

Houses

Offices/
Buildings

Shops

Transportation

Shops:

| Interiors | Exteriors |


| view image | view large image |

Stores and Store Buildings - Interiors

#1071

Date: 1883
Source: A.J. Brine Jr.
Photographer:

Information: Globe House Interior. Left sitting - George Brine St.,; standing Mr. W. Rae,; behind counter, A.J. Brine Sr; front of counter Mrs. W. Rae. Although dated 1883 by source, this picture shows electric lighting, which did not arrive in New Westminster before 1891. Possibly, this picture shows temporary premises after the 1898 fire: the Globe House reopened in a new brick block on Columbia c. 1899-1900. Alfred John Brine, George Brine and Mrs. Jessie Rae were brothers and sister.

Top


| view image | view large image |

Stores and Store Buildings - Interiors

#53

Date: [N.D.] c. 1903
Source: New Westminster Museum
Photographer:

Information: Photographs like this were often used in newspaper adverts around 1900 - 1910. Possibly Cunningham Hardware Co.

Top


| view image | view large image |

Stores and Store Buildings - Interiors

#57

Date: c. 1903?
Source: New Westminster Museum
Photographer:

Information: Interior of grocery store with four employees, one using a handtruck.

Top


| view image | view large image |

Stores and Store Buildings - Interiors

#56

Date: [N.D.] c. 1903
Source: New Westminster Museum
Photographer:

Information: Possibly H. T. Kirk's store on Columbia

Top


| view image | view large image |

Stores and Store Buildings - Interiors

#55

Date: c. 1903?
Source: New Westminster Museum
Photographer:

Information: Trapps Hardware, 1900? N corner Lorne and Columbia streets, New Westminster. L - R: Jim Thornton, Jack Hoatson, Allan P. Grant, Dick Trembath . All these men were listed as Trapp employees in the 1903 directory.

Top


| view image | view large image |

Stores and Store Buildings - Interiors

#2378

Date: c. 1914
Source: Mary Bovee, donor
Photographer:

Information: The interior of the McQuarrie and Mitchell Hat Shop. The shop employees and the employer are posed. At far left to right are: The donor's mother - nee Katie Campbell later Smith, to her right is Ethel Morrow who later married Chalmers McKay. At far right to left are: Bessie Mitchell (store owner), and to her left Miss. McQuarrie (store owner).

The donor's mother Katie Campbell came to Canada in 1907 when she was 16. She started at the hat shop in 1913 and worked there before she was married in 1918. Her wages started at $6 per week and were later raised to $10 per week. Hats for the May Queens were made at the shop. Miss Campbell wrote down in a notebook dated 1913 the cost for some hats as: $1.50, $110, and 70cents. Pins were 50 cents. In the 1913 BC Directory Flora McQuarrie is listed as part of Connor & McQuarrie milliners at 1, 627 Columbia Street. In the 1914 B.C. Directory, listed are: McQuarrie (Flora) and Mitchell (Bessie) Milliners 1, 623 Columbia.

Top

 

Shops:

| Interiors | Exteriors |

 

| NWPL Photo Database | Heritage Homepage | Site Map | Maps of New Westminster |


Last modified August 2000 - Created July 2000

NWPL Homepage NWPL Contact Page "New Westminster Public Library"