image | view
large image |
Source: Joan Lougheed, donor
The caption on the original photograph was "The first market after
the fire". The first City Market was built in 1892 and was burned
in the great fire of September, 1898. This building had been established
in a big shed west of the Market Wharf. The fire destroyed ¾ of
New Westminster as well as the market, the wharf and ships at
berth. Articles in the "Daily Columbian" newspaper of October
24, 1898, pp.2&3, describe the weekly market prices and criticize
the makeshift and temporary quarters. One of the articles stressed
the need to rebuild a market building to keep pace with Vancouver.
Later, the Market was temporarily located in an old building in
Library Square, then known as City Hall Square until the market
wharf and shed were rebuilt, this time further east, near the
foot of Church Street.